Soapstone is highly appreciated for its numerous advantages unique in the mineral world:
- Remarkable heat capacity: heat is absorbed rapidly while radiated very slowly, which makes it very interesting as a heating device;
- Resists to acids and alkalis, one of the reason it is appreciated in laboratories;
- Easy to shape with woodworking tools;
- Does not require any particular finish except for the application oil for particular use.
- Least porous natural rock for the shower bases, sinks and counters (less porous than slubs it and the marble)
The density of the stone determines architectural and artistic uses. The carving grade stone has a higher talc content rendering it more malleable.